Monday, June 14, 2010

Growing Up Godly

Yesterday was my birthday... not a very significant one, but I'm now a "prime age" (I'll leave you to figure out what I mean by that). And while birthdays don't seem to mean as much as they used to when you were little, I always find that they are a great occasion to reflect and take stock of what your life is all about.

Birthdays are usually the time when all your relatives look at you and say "My, isn't she growing up fast?" and " "I remember when you were only this big and..." Now, I haven't physically grown in any direction for quite a number of years, but over the last 4 years I have grown a good deal spiritually (to say by leaps and bounds at some points I don't think is an exaggeration). But now I'm getting 'older' spiritually, it's great to look back and think "Am I still growing and maturing in Christ?" And while your growth as an older Christian is never going to be as much as it was when you were first born, just as with the growth of a child, you still want to be progressing.

Now, I don't have a cut and dried answer I can give you about my own growth. Sometimes I've taken a few steps forward, others I've gone backwards. It's been sort of like doing the hokey-pokey. And I'm okay with that. We'd all prefer it if it were good times all the way, but I know life just ain't like that. Just as long as I keep stepping up to dance.

No comments: